About Me

My photo
Yup, I admit it..I'm a grandma!! But I still love having fun, sports, and rock & roll! I enjoy my family, friends, and Granger Community Church family. If I'm not home you can probably find me at Borders or Starbucks!!

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thou Shall Not Steal

What an interesting day...I spent the day inside this courthouse as part of a 7 person jury which would decide the fate of a man facing a felony charge for theft. When I arrived this morning for the jury selection I was crammed into a very small room with 19 other people of different shapes and sizes. No one talked. Just sized each other up. There was the guy who had the ZZTop lookin' beard. The gal with the gray vinyl sweatsuit that looked like she should be boarding a space shuttle. My favorite person to watch was the "Mr. Bean guy". Yup, had his mannerisms, walk, even that tiny grin...But, eventually, all those people left and the chosen ones remained!
The judge was great...very informative and gracious. So was the bailiff. The attorneys did their best to present their cases. One for the defendant, one against. Not to bore anyone with details...the case was interesting but I was distressed that so much attention (& tax payers money!) was going towards this case. It seemed more like miscommunication to me rather than "knowingly exerting unauthorized control over the property of ----with the intent to deprive----of any part of its value or use."
So after several hours, and having one of the jurors decide he needed to vomit during the closing arguments....the jury went into the deliberation room and after discussing the case for awhile decided that we could not prove the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
I was surprised tonight to attend New Community and hear Dr. Bob speak on thou shall not steal. Wow...
God provided an awesome object lesson for me today...and for once, I didn't have to learn it the hard way!!

No comments: