About Me

My photo
Yup, I admit it..I'm a grandma!! But I still love having fun, sports, and rock & roll! I enjoy my family, friends, and Granger Community Church family. If I'm not home you can probably find me at Borders or Starbucks!!

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2009--THE YEAR OF CONTENTMENT



My devotional today focused on discontentment. When is discontentment healthy and when is it unhealthy? God uses discontentment to get me back on track. To move me in a new direction. I'm discontent that I can't give financially to causes I find worthy, so I will take charge of my finances better. I'm discontent that my clothes feel tight, so I will exercise more and eat less.
Discontentment becomes unhealthy when my desire to have "more stuff" becomes the focus of my life. That "stuff" can be material possessions or recognition or whatever makes me feel better about me.
Rick Warren goes on to say that God gives us strength to be content. This is an important spiritual truth to learn because if wealth, good looks, and a star-quality spouse brought us lasting contentment, then Hollywood would be filled with some of the most content and happy people on earth.
The Apostle Paul taught that true contentment must be learned:
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty, I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want Phillippians 4:12.

1 comment:

Kristin Baker said...

Awesome reminder! Thanks for sharing this!